Here's another list of videos and articles that I watched / read during June, starting with a new track from Run The Jewels' fourth album;
- The Story of Hertz Going Bust (bloomberg.com) - the rise and fall of one of the largest car rental firms
- The Night Richard Nixon Hung Out With Hippies at the Lincoln Memorial (washingtonian.com)
- Pepsi’s $32 Billion Typo Caused Deadly Riots (medium.com/better-marketing)
- Velocipedia IRL (behance.net) - art project, following on from the artist making realistic 3D rendering of bicycles from the inaccurate sketches of various people, this exhibition has real sculptures of many of these renderings
- See A Satellite Tonight (james.darpinian.com) - find where satellites are passing overhead. Uses Google Streetview to show where they will pass in the night sky, and you can go outside and actually see them!
- Thundercats Roar - almost universally panned animated reboot of the 80's TV series. I think it's actually pretty good if you can forget about the excellent intro from the original TV series. Nice and lighthearted for watching during a pandemic
- Maersk, me & notPetya (gvnshtn.com) - longform about the ransomware attack that took out nearly the entire IT system of the global shipping firm, how they got back to working again and steps to avoid
- ‘Crush This Lady.’ Inside eBay’s Bizarre Campaign Against a Blog Critic. (wsj.com) - as per title
After watching the first manned space mission for SpaceX last month I came across this Youtuber/engineer who seems a little like Elon Musk and is creating rockets that achieve a similar thing on a much smaller scale
- How I deleted my Facebook, WhatsApp, and Instagram accounts, and felt great since (shogan.co.uk) - I really don't think it's possible to delete Whatsapp, but all other Social Media provides almost no value to me at all. If Instagram could be posted to without having to use the distracting app then I would use it.
- ▶︎ Invite Them In | Pulled by Magnets (bandcamp.com) - hopefully I'll have my ears blown out by this band after the pandemic
- First photo of HS2 tunnel boring machine (ianvisits.co.uk) - picture of the huge new boring machine to be used on the new high speed railway in the UK
- Is Dark Mode Such A Good Idea? (kevq.uk) - easier to read or not?
- 100 Days To Offload - just an idea to blog 100 times a year (for fun, no pressure - just as well)
- The Return of the 90s Web (mxb.dev) - is there a trend to a less centralised web?
- The Google ‘vs’ Trick (David Foster) - using Google 'vs' to recursively find related searches