Links from week 41, 2021
Oct 11-17 2021
- My first industry job (jeremyaboyd.com) - the experience of a developer in their first job out of college
- The ship that became a bomb (newyorker.com) - story of the FSO Safer, a supertanker repurposed as a floating oil storage depot that's been deteriorating rapidly in the Red Sea
- Worst Case (tbray.org) - imagining what could be the cause of a long term outage for us-east-1 (a large AWS datacentre) a datacentre considered so critical and powering so many businesses that having it inaccessible for a long period of time could cause a global economic depression
- IoT Hacking and Rickrolling My High School District (whitehoodhacker.net) - writeup following a senior high school prank taking over 100s of IoT devices to rick-roll the school district
- The Steve Jobs deal with Michael Dell that could have changed Apple and tech history (cnet.com) - some of the history between Dell and Steve Jobs, that could've resulted in MacOS being shipped with every single Dell PC
- Facebook thrives on criticism of "disinformation" (pluralistic.net) - is Facebook advertising so effective that it can brainwash the population, or is it actually not that effective and not worth companies pouring money into for self-promotion?